Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Four Walls: Mon.- Fri.



So I work as a receptionist facing this tall wall of windows. In a disaster movie it would not be the ideal spot to be, but I do have a carved out concave nook under my sturdy dark wooden desk, and it's covered down to the floor-so no worries, I would certainly be safe in it.


This location is great for entertainment, namely eavesdropping. I can pick up just about anything within earshot. Deciphering cadence, tone and categorized by topic or people conversing I have built quite a web of interpersonal drama and politics. Being able to sit beyond the realm of immersion has helped me keep afloat and become all-seer so to speak. I'm at the center of the honey comb of offices that branch off to my sides, with the "kitchen" area behind - me, the lobby before me and the courtyard just beyond the front doors.


The courtyard is my secondary form of entertainment throughout the day. Quiet an array of characters stomp through on a daily basis as it is pretty much the only place in this downtown area to smoke without being bothered. It's nestled between the only two hookah bars around here, so even though techincally a smoke free zone, it has become the smoker's-open-air-haven. We get a sampler platter of regulars. A certain group of High schoolers and their homeless friends - which actually was cause for a continuing drama, but that's another story. Our own people taking their smoke breaks and lunches. And the passerbys, well, passing by. We're next to a parking garage so we get some foot traffic.

No comments:

Post a Comment